Apply to ECE — 2014-2015
ECE Application Deadlines:
M.S., M.S. / Ph.D., Ph.D.:
- Fall 2014 (admission and financial support consideration) - December 16, 2013
- Fall 2014 (admission only) - January 15, 2014
- Winter 2014 (admission only) - November 1, 2013
- Spring 2014 (admission only) - January 2, 2014
Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Degrees
The ECE department offers both Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. Applicants must specify one of three programs:
- M.S. Program: for students who are primarily interested in a Master's degree. It does not preclude entering the Ph.D. program at a later date if you become more interested in research.
- M.S./Ph.D. Program: for students who have not yet earned a Master's degree and also intend to do research towards the Ph.D. degree.
- Ph.D. Program: for students who already have an Master's degree and intend to do research towards the Doctor of Philosophy degree.
Refer to the ECE Research Areas and Faculty Research pages for information about areas of study and potential advisors for the graduate program. Research in the ECE Department is broken into four different areas:
A separate application is not necessary to be considered for financial support for those who have already submitted an application for admission. All awards are merit-based. Types of financial support available include:
- Graduate Student Research (GSR) Positions: pays a monthly stipend plus fees, health insurance and nonresident tuition. Offers are made by individual faculty members.
- Teaching Assistantships (TAships): pays a monthly stipend plus fees, health insurance and nonresident tuition. Offers are made by the department.
- Fellowships: most pay a quarterly stipend plus fees and health insurance and sometimes nonresident tuition. Offers are made by the department or UCSB's Graduate Division.
Need-based aid is only available for domestic students. To apply for aid, a Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) must be submitted separately. More information is available through the UCSB Financial Aid Office.
- Fall quarter (M.S., M.S./Ph.D. and Ph.D. applicants): December 16th of the prior year for priority consideration for financial support; January 15th for admission only consideration
- Winter quarter (Ph.D. applicants only - an M.S. degree is required prior to application): November 1st of the prior year
- Spring quarter (Ph.D. applicants only - an M.S. degree is required prior to application): January 2nd